Mar 31, 2015

My top #10 tips for running a successful Etsy shop.

" Celebrate your succes" I read the other day. Now that's good advice for someone who just keeps on going. With 2000 sales in my Etsy shop, I feel I do have something to celebrate! I want to share my festive mood here, with you. Looking back I think I can share with you my top ten tips for being succesfull on Etsy. I never wrote something like this before, so please ignore my writing skills and read "between the lines" about one happy Etsy entrepeneur, from Holland. I hope this is both helpful and informative.
So much has been written about these subjects already, so I'll be sharing my favorite links.

Comments and likes are much, much appreciated.

#1 PLAN. Make a good solid plan. I believe a businessplan also incorporates your private, personal situation. Where do YOU want to be in 5 years? What is important in your daily life? Do you want to work alone, take care of the kids, make a lot of money? How can you get there.
-- I needed to be able to pick up my work and take it with me in case we would move abroad (or to the Dutch countryside, where we ended up!). Also, after some corporate partnership adventures in the past, I needed to be the sole captain of my creative ship. 
Benefits of an Etsy businessplan by an Etsy entrepeneurHow to write a creative business plan in under an hour.

#2 find your NICHE. With about 1.5 million (!) shops on Etsy you do not want to sell anything "mainstream". You will not be found. Be VERY specific in what you make. Find your audience, find your niche.

Etsy in 5 numbers (video)

Find a niche market for your designs


#3 START . Oh yes, this one seems so easy, but for me it's one of the toughest to get over with. Plans, designs, ideas, hurdles and opportunities, they can all be IN your head. But to get it going, start. Make, do, move.

#4 take stunning PICTURES. Bright, fresh, crisp clean and styled by you. The camera from your smartphone will probably work well, nothing fancy needed. Nothing beats a white background and daylight.

4 Essential Product Shots for Your Etsy Listings
Top Tips for Smartphone Photography

#5 LEARN from other Etsy sellers. Dive into the many, many articles on the Etsy Blog. I loved the 'quit your day job series' .. whilst dreaming of what could be... and now is! become a member of an Etsy team. There may even be a local team to catch up with!

#6 Be PROFESSIONAL . Want to sell like a pro? Act like a pro! Customer service, setting up policies, financial planning. It's not something on the side. Get rid of that "I am doing this out of my basement" feel. Your customers expect the best. And yes... you can. 
Good read from FitsSmallBusiness on how to be successful on Etsy

#7 Find your AUDIENCE. Try tradeshows, craftmarkets, pop up stores etc. Set your goals and learn from experience. I tried it all, and, for WestermanBags, the magic fomrula is ... online selling works best, combined with several handmade markets a year, in the big cities like Amsterdam, Antwerp and Hamburg.

Sunday Market Amsterdam
Markt van Morgen Antwerpen

Hello Handmade Hamburg


#8 Be PREPARED for success. Think big. Find people who can help out during busy times, the holiday season. Work on a vast relationship with your suppliers - who can send you your goods in 24 hours. The tip relates a lot to #6. Be a pro.

#9 LOVE what you do. Big or small, 1 or 25 pieces, a product made by you is the best thing that can happen to .. anyone. Smile and share!

#10 NEDERLAND is klein, met Etsy is de hele wereld je doelgroep! Er zijn meer succesvolle Nederlandse verkopers (..lees en leer!) en er is een Nederlands platform. Je kan zelfs je winkel in het Nederlands en in euro's opzetten. Wat houdt je nu nog tegen?

Nederlandse Etsy Community


**
I hope you enjoyed the first real "read" on my blog. Not to forget .. The reason of all this is my Etsy shop WestermanBags in which I sell felt and leather covers and bags.
Annemieke xo.







No comments:

Post a Comment